Place to visit Cha am

chaam

PHRA NAKHON KHIRI

PHRA NAKHON KHIRI

PHRA NAKHON KHIRI he entrance to Petchaburi is dominated by a small hill known as Khao Wang (Palace Mountain), where King Mongkut built a summer palace in 1860 in neo-classical style. Named Phra Nakhon Khiri, it is now a Historic Park full of palace buildings, temples, halls, even an observatory where the King use to view the stars, all spread over three peaks. On the western peak is Wat Phra Keao, a replica of the Emerald Buddha Temple in Bangkok. But visitors should head for the superb palace structures, beautiful restored and turned into a national museum, full of priceless antiques, beautiful ceramics and sculptures. Gives you a great insight into royal life a century ago. A hillside railway provides easy access to the palace, which is open daily from 9.00 - 16.00.

MURUK  KHATAYAWAN  PALACE

MURUK KHATAYAWAN PALACE

MURUK KHATAYAWAN PALACE This beautiful golden teak palace, with its airy walkways and buildings, was used by King Vajiravudh as a summer residence in the mid 1920s. Its elegant two-storey pavilions face the sea, linked together by a series of elevated walkways. One pavilion was used occasionally as a theatre indulging the King's love of drama. The palace of Love and Hope has been lovingly restored and provides a whistful setting to stroll around. Located in the grounds of King Rama 6 Military Camp, the palace is open daily from 08:00 - 16:00.

KHAO LUANG CAVE

KHAO LUANG CAVE

KHAO LUANG CAVE Petchaburi's most famous cave is full of Buddha images, many installed by King Mongkut who liked to picnic here. His son, King Chulalongkorn enshrined a magnificent Buddha image delicated to his forefathers. holes in the ceiling allow sunlight to dance over the images, creating a dramatic effect beloved by photographers. Best time for cameras is 2 - 3 pm.

PHRARAM RACHANIVET

PHRARAM RACHANIVET

PHRARAM RACHANIVET This rainy season palace was built for King Chulalonglorn in 1916, modelled after Kaiser Wilhelms palace in Germany Originally called Ban Puen Palace, This rainy season palace was built for King Chulalonglorn in 1916, modelled after Kaiser Wilhelms palace in Germany Originally called Ban Puen Palace, the name was changed to Phraram Ratchanivet in 1918 when it was used to accommodate state visitors. This very structure with domes and brown tiled roof was renovated in 1987.Catch a glimpse of the colourful tiles in the dining room and main staircase, or study scenes from Petchaburi at the turn of the century.